Sunday, August 25, 2013

Summer of 2013 Part 2 - Dreams

What was the feeling that you had when you left the comforts of your home to become independent? Were you excited, nervous, or did you feel what I felt which was a mix of both?

May 8th 2013 was the day when I left on the Greyhound from Vancouver down to Nashville. I have "moved away" from my parents before, but that was for vacation to Japan with my friends. This time I will be leaving my parents to try and survive on my own.

Before my departure, I was feeling super confident. I even sarcastically told my mom that if she does not see me at the end of August, that means I have made a lot of money and moved away to an exotic island where I will be sending her weekly postcards (do these things still exist?) from my beach side house! 

I have big dreams, but my family will always bring me back to reality - their reality. I know it is hard to listen to yourself sometimes because everyone has different opinions; therefore, I try to tell myself that advice can be freely given, but to only listen to the ones that are worth listening to.   
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs

My family was not supportive of my decision to do sales.
Mom: (read this in a chinese accent) Daniel door to door sales dangerous. You will go door to door knocking on the homes of strangers. Don't take milk and cookie from strangers. You no Santa Claus. People no like you.
I love my mom even if she makes fun of me, but sometimes she is too pessimistic, or I am too optimistic? Better to be optimistic than pessimistic right?
Coelho, the author of "The Alchemist", says that "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it", but you must also have discipline to reach your goals. The bigger the goal, the bigger the obstacle. Failure is inevitable, but your persistence to succeed will eventually be rewarded. Remember that nothing worth having comes easy!

Please do the following:
1)Reach your arms as high as you possibly can, and hold that position. Don't move.
(Do step 1 before you read step 2)

2)Now try to reach even higher
(Do step 2 before you read step 3)


3)Try again to reach even higher than last time

Just when you thought you have reached your limit, you pushed yourself even further!
Push to achieve your dreams!





No comments:

Post a Comment