Sunday, September 1, 2013

Fear - difference between winning and losing

Definition of fear: (F)alse (E)vidence (A)ppearing (R)eal.

Success is all about how you deal with fear. How many opportunities have you missed just because you had never taken action?

News flash: Action cures FEAR

I was fearful of approaching beautiful girls on the streets, so guess what did to cure my fears? I approached them. Lets take a step back to dissect the fear of approaching girls. If you are single and you see a beautiful girl, you have a desire to get her number right? But why are you reluctant to act, and instead you stare at her from afar? It is because of fear - the fear of rejection and doing what "normal" people don't do.

At first, it was extremely difficult for me to approach because whenever I saw a beautiful girl, I became hesitant and started making excuses for myself to not approach. Some of the excuses were plain stupid - I don't want to approach from behind, or she was busy reading. When you are in an uncomfortable situation, you must not allow your mind to control your actions. Your mind come up with a million ways to dissuade you, so when you postpone your decision to act, the truckload of excuses start piling up; therefore, the costs WILL outweigh the benefits. This is what it means to lose by default.

Luckily, I had a friend, lets call him Pua, who has had experience with approaching girls. When we first started, Pua built up my confidence by allowing me to taste success in small portions. He first instructed me to ask a random person for the time, so I did. After enough practice of asking for the time, I progressed to small talk, and it ultimately led to approaching girls. Action cures FEAR!

When you are facing your fears, ask yourself these questions:

1) What are your options?
2) What is the worse thing that could happen to me if I followed through?
3) If the situation does not work out can I recover?

Example:
1) Should I approach the girl sitting on the bench? Yes or No
2) The worse thing that could happen is that she is going to reject me.
3) I will be able to recover from this situation because there are so many girls on this planet.

It is said that the fear of public speaking is a fear greater than death for most people. According to psychiatrists, the fear of public speaking is caused by the fear of ostracism, the fear of standing out, the fear of criticism, the fear of ridicule, the fear of being an outcast. The fear of being different prevents most people from seeking new ways to solve their problems. - Rich Dad, Poor Dad

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I can't believe Daniel Chen used to be afraid of approaching beautiful girls. Those 3 questions, did you learn that from Southwestern Advantage? Good post by the way. Keep me updated. http://yoursandmystory.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete